The trails surround some of the most beautiful tree-lined crystal-clear lakes in Minnesota; Cuyuna Lakes Recreation Area is every bit as amazing as those articles in Outdoor, Gear Junkie and, Explore Minnesota Tourism office videos make it out to be. Spending a few days at this gorgeous and adventurous destination that is only about two hours from the Minneapolis & St. Paul metro could very well be your best family vacation ever.
Everyone will fall in love with Cuyuna Lakes and Trails for its jaw-dropping beauty, its water activities and its world-famous mountain biking trails, super delicious restaurants, and, of course, its comfortable furnished glamping tents, lakefront cabins, and campsites surrounded by trees that are within steps of the Cuyuna Lakes Trials at True North Basecamp — you’ll undoubtedly find lodging for every level of outdoor adventure.
If you’re planning your first or tenth trip to Cuyuna, here are a few things you should know before you arrive at this remarkable and unique Minnesota destination. Here are eight of our top tips for your visit.
1. Download a trail map pdf and a mobile app to familiarize yourself with the trail system. Here’s a link to the current trail map pdf from the Minnesota DNR. There are some great mobile applications with trail maps as well. They include; Trailforks, AllTrails, TrailLink, and Natural Atlas
2. Stop into Red Raven Bike Shop & Café for fantastic coffee, check out their bikes and gear, and get the latest updates on the trails from their excellent staff.
3. Check out the spectacular view from riding up Miners Mountain Trail.
4. Have a wood-fired pizza at Rafferty’s on Main Street, Crosby, MN.
5. Order some super-premium ice cream from Victual & Rave Cream Works.
6. Enjoy a cold one at Cuyuna Brewing Co.
7. Explore the 40 feet of water clarity on the Cuyuna mine lakes by renting a paddleboard from Cuyuna Outfitters.
8. Book a stay in a furnished glamping tent at True North Basecamp.
We hope to see you soon in Cuyuna!